I am currently a PhD student in Career and Technical Education at the University of Technology, Jamaica (UTech Jamaica). My research interests include using photography as a tool for heritage education and developing photography curricula, based on unique national characteristics and cultures. The following are details of my research activities to date:
- Smith, A. P., (2018). A Systemic Review of Photovoice as a Pedagogical Tool for Young People. Journal of Arts Science and Technology, 11(2), 14-37.
ACADEMIC GRANTS AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- 2018 – USAID-funded, Advance Program International professional exchange in Queretaro, Mexico
- 2017 – ICOMOS Victoria Falls Fund Grant to attend the 19th General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) in Delhi, India.
- 2016 – Early Career Academic Grant from the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) to attend the 4th International Conference on Photography & Theory in Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 2016 – Funding received from Improved Access to Justice in the Caribbean to attend Media Law Seminar in Barbados.
- 2015 – Funding received from UNESCO-UNEVOC to attend panel discussion entitled Heritage Skills – Can TVET solve the skills shortage? in Bonn, Germany.
- 2014 – Research Develop Fund Grant from UTech Jamaica for research entitled Imaging Heritage Sites as a tool for Conservation and Sustainable Community Development.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS
Conference & Seminar Presentations
- 2018 – Developing a GIS Mobile Application for Heritage Education in Jamaica. 3rd International Conference on Education & Humanities; UTech, Jamaica.
- 2017 – Using Photography to Determine Knowledge, Attitudes and Perceptions towards Heritage Sites: The Case of Buff Bay. Rex Nettleford Arts Conference 2017, Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2016 – Using Photovoice and Facebook as Tools for Heritage Education in Jamaica: The Case of Buff Bay .4th International Conference on Photography & Theory. Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 2016 – The Potential Use of Career & Technical Education for the Transformation of Rural Jamaica. 2nd International Conference on Education & Humanities; UTech, Jamaica.
- 2016 – The Rights of Journalists. Improved Access to Justice in the Caribbean Media Law Seminar, Barbados.
- 2015 – Photography Education in Jamaica: Developing the Framework. Research, Technology & Innovation Day Speakers Forum, UTech, Jamaica.
- 2015 – Examining the Feasibility of Creating a multi-level TVET Photography Programme for Jamaica. 4th Annual Graduate Students’ Conference, FELS, UTech Jamaica.
- 2014 – Teaching Photography in the Context of Jamaica’s Photographic Culture. 1st International Conference on Education & Humanities, UTech, Jamaica.
- 2013 – Imaging Heritage as a Tool for Conservation & Sustainable Community Development. Rex Nettleford Arts Conference Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2018 – Sites to See: Developing a Heritage Education Mobile App Research, Technology & Innovation Day; UTech, Jamaica.
- 2014 – Imaging Heritage as a Tool for Conservation & Sustainable Community Development. Research, Technology & Innovation Day; UTech, Jamaica.