Andrew P. Smith is a lecturer in photography and journalism at the University of Technology, Jamaica (UTech, Jamaica) and is currently a PhD student in Career & Technical Education at UTech, Jamaica, with a focus on utilising photography as a tool for heritage education. He holds a M.A. Photography from the University of Bolton and a B.Sc. in Geography from the University of the West Indies. Research interests include using photography for heritage conservation and developing teaching models based on national photographic cultures.
Academic Grants & Capacity Building
- Early Career Academic Grant from the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) to attend the 4th International Conference on Photography & Theory in Nicosia, Cyprus. 2016
- Received funding from UNESCO-UNEVOC to attend panel discussion entitled Heritage Skills – Can TVET solve the skills shortage? in Bonn, Germany. July 2015
- Research Develop Fund Grant from the University of Technology, Jamaica for research entitled Imaging Heritage Sites as a tool for Conservation and Sustainable Community Development. 2015.
Conference & Research Presentations
- Using Photovoice and Facebook as Tools for Heritage Education in Jamaica: The Case of Buff Bay. 4th International Conference of Photography & Theory; Nicosia, Cyprus. December 2016.
- The Potential Use of Career & Technical Education for the Transformation of Rural Jamaica. 2nd International Conference on Education & Humanities. University of Technology, Jamaica. May 2016
- The Rights of Journalists. Improved Access to Justice in the Caribbean Media Law Seminar, Barbados. February 2016.
- Photography Education in Jamaica: Developing the Framework. Research, Technology & Innovation Day Speakers Forum. UTech, Jamaica. March 2015.
- Examining the Feasibility of Creating a multi-level TVET Photography Programme for Jamaica. 4th Annual Graduate Students’ Conference,
Faculty of Education & Liberal Studies, UTech, Jamaica. February 2015.
- Teaching Photography in the Context of Jamaica’s Photographic Culture. 1st International Conference on Education & Humanities, UTech, Jamaica. May 2014
- Imaging Heritage as a Tool for Conservation & Sustainable Community Development. Poster presentation at Research, Technology & Innovation Day; UTech, Jamaica. March 2014.
- Imaging Heritage as a Tool for Conservation & Sustainable Community Development. Edna Manley College/Rex Nettleford Arts Conference, Kingston. October 2013